Saturday, July 2, 2011

UTA coach goes pro, opportunity overseas

Candice Champion, middle, takes a few pictures with her teammates in Weatherford, Texas.  

She has a great smile and walks with a strut such that at first glance, many would think Candice Champion is a model.
Her name describes her well. During the summer, she’s a head coach for the University of Texas at Arlington’s Upward Bound basketball team. In her third year coaching, Champion’s team has won back-to-back championships in 2010 and 2011. When she’s not coaching, she plays pro women’s basketball overseas.
In 2009, Champion played for a team in Portugal and played for a Polish team in 2010. Champion’s experience overseas was a lifestyle adjustment, from seeing chickens cooked live to ordering sneakers from catalogs.
“The way of living was odd,” she said. “From milk in the fridge to milk on the shelf, a whole chicken processed to a furry chicken being cooked in front of you. I couldn’t buy shoes. I had to order all my stuff from Eastbay.”
Champion had a late start in basketball. Though she started playing in the seventh grade, she didn’t pursue basketball full time till the ninth grade at University High School in Waco, Texas. Champion’s first sports were track and volleyball. She said Lisa Leslie inspired her to play basketball. In her collegiate career, she played four years at UTA. In her senior year, she hired an agent. 
“[In the 9th grade] I got huge,” she said. “So I took a risk and went to basketball. I played some AAU and got a full ride, and they told me I had a chance to play overseas.”
Being tall and African-American conveyed more attention than Champion expected. She said it was a culture shock for her and the people of Portugal.
“I’m tall and black and they look at you funny,” she said. “After a month they get used to you. My Portugal coach could speak some English so it was cool. But in Poland, I had a translator.”
After her first tour in Portugal, she was sent to a team in Poland. Champion’s experience with the Polish team was a low point. The relationship with her teammates in and out the locker room was dreadful.
“They loved me in Portugal, but Poland I felt displeased, depressed, mentally down,” she said. “Whenever we lost, I was blamed and it was always my fault. The girls would call me a ball hog. I’d have to score over 25 [Points] a game just to have a chance for us to win.”
Chad Jordan, who’s a second year shooting guard for the summer team, said coach Champion is easy to work with.
“There’s no pressure when I work with her,” he said. “It’s real calm. She’ll get on me, but it’s not like there’s any pressure on me.”
Fellow teammate Carl Watson said Champion has helped him expand his guard skills. He credits Champion for improving his court vision and foot work.
“She’s taught me to keep my head up [When taking the ball up the court] and keep good court vision,” he said. “She always pushes us to the next level.”
Champion is going back to Portugal in September. She said she enjoyed her first experience there and the money was good.
Champion plans to get her master’s in business. She wants to open a recreation center after her playing days are done.
“It’s going to be like a Boys & Girls type of rec center,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment